What information do we collect?
We may collect information from you when you register on our site, subscribe to our newsletter, respond to a survey, fill out a form, place an order or otherwise enter into transactions on our site.
When visiting our site, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter your: name, e-mail address, mailing address, phone number, IP address, user name, password, answer to security questions, information about your company or business, and when necessary, date of birth and credit card and/or other payment/ordering information. You may, however, visit our site anonymously.
What do we use your information for?
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- To improve our Web site. We continually strive to improve our website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you.
- To improve customer service. Your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs.
- To respond to a request. Information you provide in a request for service or information will be forwarded to us. We will use this information to respond to your request.
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature.
- To process transactions.
- To send periodic emails. If you decide to opt-in to our mailing list, you will receive emails that may include company news, updates, related product or service information, etc.
Note: If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, we include detailed unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email.
How do we protect your information?
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information.
We use SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption technology to protect the information you submit. This technology protects visitors from having their information intercepted by anyone while it is being transmitted. We work hard to ensure that our systems are secure and that they meet industry standards. Where appropriate, we employ firewalls, encryption technology, user authentications systems, and access control mechanisms to control access to systems and data.
Yes. Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computer’s hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow) that enables the sites or service providers systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not rent, sell or trade to outside parties or non-affiliated companies your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may provide the information to affiliated companies. We also may provide it to trusted third parties who work on behalf of or with us under confidentiality agreements. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
Third party links
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third party products or services on our website. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
California Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
Because we value your privacy we have taken the necessary precautions to be in compliance with the California Online Privacy Protection Act. We therefore will not distribute your personal information to outside parties without your consent except as otherwise provided in this Policy.
Our websites are not designed to appeal to minors, and you are required to be 18 years of age in order to use this website or provide information to us. Therefore we do not knowingly attempt to solicit or receive any information from children under 18.
This Web site contains hyperlinks or “links” to other sites, and other sites may “link” to this site. Web sites linking to and from this site may have different privacy practices from the ones described here. Visitors to our site should read the privacy statements of other Web sites they visit.
This policy was last modified on 3/1/2012.
PO Box 11250
JEFFERSON, LA 70181-1250
Welcome. Our Web site (also referred to as “the Web site” or “this site”) is the media property of Stewart Services, Inc. (also referred to as the “Company” or “we”).
If you do not agree to these TOU, please do not register for or enter the Web site. The Company may modify the TOU at any time, without notice. Any modifications will be posted on this page, so we suggest you return to this page on a regular basis to view the TOU. Your continued use of the Web site after any modification will mean you agree to the TOU as modified. If you do not agree to a modification, you should stop visiting the Web site immediately.
Certain features of the Web site are reserved for registered users only. In order to have access to these areas, you will be asked to register. We may ask you to provide personally identifiable information such as your name, email address, and address, and in some instances, provide information about someone who is deceased for whom you are handling or have handled their final arrangements.
Each registered user must register with a unique email address and password. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and are therefore fully responsible for all activities that occur under your password or account. You may change your password at any time by updating your account on the Web site. You agree to immediately notify us if you believe that any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security may have occurred.
We use SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption technology to protect the information you submit. This technology protects visitors from having their information intercepted by anyone while it is being transmitted. Where appropriate, we employ firewalls, encryption technology, user authentications systems, and access control mechanisms to control access to systems and data. However, we do not guarantee the privacy of your information. It is important for you to protect yourself against unauthorized access to your information. You are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your password and if using a shared or public computer, you should make sure you completely sign-off of the Web site when finished.
We cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this section or any breach of security.
Users Who Are Age 18 and Younger
This Web site is not directed at children under 13 years of age. Any registration with, use of, or access to this site by anyone under 13 is unauthorized, unlicensed, and in violation of these TOU.
Parents of children between the ages of 13 and 18 who wish to allow their children access to this site have the responsibility to determine the content that is appropriate for their children. Because site may contain user-generated content, please be aware that site users may have created areas on the Web site that contain adult or mature content.
Reliance on Medical, Legal, Financial, Investment and Other Information
This Web site may present resources for the purpose of informing, sharing, and creating a community among site visitors; our intent is not to provide exhaustive information or advice on a particular topic. You should not rely on information provided by this site to suggest an authoritative course of action for an individual with legal, financial, educational, medical, or mental health concerns. The information contained here should not replace a consultation with a qualified expert in the field, such as an attorney, accountant, financial or investment advisor, teacher, physician, health care provider, or therapist.
Third Party Sites
Stewart Services, Inc. is the owner of this site as a whole, as well as any individual content on this site that is provided by Company staff members, or contributors who provide work under contract with the Company. All such content is protected under the copyright and intellectual property laws of the United States. The Web site also includes works that are the property of others, such as individual contributors or experts; these works, too, are protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws. You may display and, unless otherwise noted, download and print out portions of the Web site content solely for your own personal, non-commercial use. Any redistribution, retransmission, or publication of any copyrighted material is strictly prohibited without the express written consent of the copyright owner. You agree not to change or delete any proprietary notices from materials downloaded from this site. You may not incorporate the information, content, or other material on this site in any database, compilation, archive or cache. You may not modify, copy, distribute, re-publish, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, reuse, resell, license, create derivative works from, transfer, or sell any information, content, material, software, products or services obtained from the Web site, except as specifically noted above.
Except as specifically authorized by Stewart Services, Inc., you may not deep-link to the Web site for any purpose or access the Web site with any robot, spider, Web crawler, extraction software, or any other automated process or device to scrape, copy, or monitor any portion of the Web site or any information, content, or material on the Web site. We reserve all of its statutory and common law rights against any person or entity who violates this paragraph. You may not link or frame to any pages of the Web site or any content contained therein, whether in whole or in part, without our written permission.
Content and Comments Posted by Users
This site is an Internet destination where individuals may exchange diverse viewpoints, stories and ideas. The interactive nature of postings on this site makes it impossible for us to assume responsibility for any of the materials posted by site visitors. The ideas, suggestions, opinions, comments, and observations made by Web site users, and any text, data, photographs, messages, content, files or other material provided to us by site visitors (all of which are referred to as 'User Content') are not endorsed by us, and we make no guarantee regarding the reliability, accuracy, or quality of any User Content that is posted on the Web site. You acknowledge that you will evaluate and bear any risks related to your use of any User Content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such User Content. All User Content posted to the Web site is the sole responsibility of the person who originally posted the User Content, and your sole recourse for any damage you may suffer as a result of User Content shall be to such individual.
We do not claim any ownership rights of User Content. By submitting User Content, you are representing that you are the creator of the material you submit, or have authorization to distribute it. After posting User Content, you continue to retain your ownership rights in such User Content, and you continue to have the right to use your User Content in any way you choose. By sending User Content to this site, or posting it on the Web site, you expressly grant the Company a worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to publicly display, use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, and distribute the User Content in any form, in connection with the Web site or other affiliated or related ventures. This license is sub-licensable so that we are able to use our affiliates and subcontractors such as Internet content delivery networks to provide the Web site and other services, and to provide archive copies of User Content to funeral home partners in circumstances where we are contractually obligated to do so.
This license will continue perpetually unless and until you request that we remove your user content from the Web site, at which time the license granted here will automatically expire; provided however, we may retain archived copies of your user content, and may continue to include, use, or display such user content in published materials (e.g. books, television products) created prior to such removal of your user content. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you acknowledge and agree that the license granted by you to the Company for User Content shall be irrevocable. You may request that we take down User Content by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org, but we undertake no obligation to do so.
If you choose to post User Content on site pages, we require that you adhere to generally accepted rules of etiquette and standards of behavior, and that your use of the Web site reflects your respect for the legal rights of users connected with the Web site. In particular, you agree to the 'Rules of Conduct' posted below (though this is not meant as an exhaustive list).
You acknowledge that the Company may or may not pre-screen User Content, but that we and our designees shall have the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to pre-screen, refuse, move or remove any User Content from the Web site, for any or no reason and with or without notice.
Rules of Conduct
The following rules of conduct apply to your use of the Web site and to any and all materials you post on the Web site, including text, data, graphics, content, messages, files or other material ('User Content') whether the User Content is included in condolence books, memory books, blogs, discussion groups, private messages, e-mails, profiles, comments, or any other portion or feature of the Web site.
You may not, in connection with the Web site: Upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any User Content that:
- is libelous or defamatory, pornographic, sexually explicit, unlawful or plagiarized;
- infringes or violates any patent, copyright (including by plagiarizing), trademark, trade secret or other property right;
- breaches a duty of confidentiality by which you are bound due to a contractual or fiduciary relationship (such as inside information, or proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
- a reasonable person would consider a breach of confidentiality or privacy (such as by posting in a public forum something that was written in a private message or letter);
- a reasonable person would consider inappropriate, harassing, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, profane, obscene, excessively violent, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable or offensive in any way;
- constitutes a breach of any person's privacy or publicity rights, a misrepresentation of facts, or hate speech;
- violates or encourages others to violate any applicable law, statute, ordinance or regulation;
- promotes software or services that deliver unsolicited e-mail or spam;
- contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots or other similar harmful programming routines;
- harms minors in any way;
- solicits personal information from anyone under 18;
- uses or creates inappropriate screen names;
- provides false or deceptive information (including impersonating another person or entity);
- uses the Web site as a forwarding service to another Web site;
- does anything to prevent the full and complete display of advertisements on the Web site pages. These include, but are not limited to, making blog style changes, customizations, or overrides that effectively block or substantially impair the display of advertisements on pages within the Web site;
- exceeds the scope of the services that you have signed up for; for example, accessing and using features that you do not have a right to use, or deleting, adding to, or otherwise changing other people's entries or other content when you have not been granted the privileges to do so; or
- allows usage by others in such a way as to violate this site’s TOU.
You may not, except with our express advance authorization or in a specially designated area, use the Website to:
- upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any User Content that provides any telephone numbers, street addresses, last names, URLs or email address; or
- engage in commercial activities within the Web site (such as by advertising or selling products or services, or inducing visitors to the Web site to enroll in a promotional or money-making enterprise).
Fees and Payments
You acknowledge that The Web site reserves the right to charge for some of the products and services it offers and to change its fees from time to time at its discretion. Billing will be processed immediately upon purchasing any other product or service. If the Web site modifies, removes, discontinues or terminates your service, product or user registration, you shall not be entitled to a refund. All sales are final. There are no refunds.
We respect the intellectual property of others, and we ask our users to do the same. Thus, in your use of and interactions with the Company and the Web site, you may not post, modify, distribute, or reproduce in any way any User Content that is copyrighted material belonging to others, without obtaining their prior written consent. We reserve the right, in our discretion, to remove any User Content if we believe it may infringe the copyright rights of others, and/or to terminate the accounts of users who we believe to be infringers.
If you believe that your work has been copied and posted on the Web site in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, we will respond to notices of alleged infringement that comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (the 'DMCA'), a federal law that provides recourse for copyright owners who believe that material appearing on the Internet infringes their rights under U.S. copyright law. The requirements for notices under the DMCA can be found at: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000512----000-.html.
Our agent for notice of claims of copyright or other intellectual property infringement can be reached as follows:
Stewart Services, Inc.
1333 S. Clearview Parkway
Jefferson, LA 70121
We suggest that you consult with a legal advisor before filing a notice under the DMCA. Also, be aware that there can be penalties for false claims under the DMCA.
You agree to indemnify and hold Stewart Services, Inc. and its subsidiaries, affiliate, officers, agents, employees, partners and licensors harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of Content you submit, post, transmit, or otherwise make available through the Web site, your use of the Web site or other services, your connection to the Web site, your violation of the TOU, or your violation of any rights of another.
General Practices Regarding Use and Storage
We may establish general practices and limits concerning use of the Web site, including, for example, limits on the number of:
- photos, videos, and other generated content
- files (including graphics, photographs, videos, or sound/music files) that may be posted
- disk space that will be allotted on site’s servers on your behalf, and
- times you may access the Web site in a given period of time (and the maximum duration of your visits to the Web site).
You agree that we have no responsibility or liability for the deletion or failure to store your User Content, provided by you or otherwise, maintained or transmitted by us or our affiliates and our affiliated Web sites.
Modifications to the Web site
We reserve the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Web site (or any part thereof) with or without notice. We shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Web site.
We may, under certain circumstances and without prior notice, immediately terminate your account and access to the Web site and any other services. Cause for such termination shall include, but not be limited to:
- one or more breaches or violations of the TOU or other incorporated agreements or guidelines;
- one or more requests by law enforcement or other government agencies;
- a request by you (self-initiated account deletions);
- discontinuance or material modification to the Web site (or any part thereof);
- unexpected technical or security issues or problems;
- extended periods of inactivity;
- engagement by you in fraudulent or illegal activities; and/or
- nonpayment of any fees owed by you in connection with the Web site or any products or services offered through the Web site.
Termination of your account includes:
- removal of access to all pages within the Web site;
- deletion of your password and all related information, files and materials, including User Content associated with or inside your account (or any part thereof); and
- barring of further use of the Web site. Further, you agree that all terminations for cause shall be made in our sole discretion and that we shall not be liable to you or any third party for any termination of your account, any associated email address, or access to the Web site.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT: YOUR USE OF THE WEB SITE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE WEB SITE IS PROVIDED ON AN 'AS IS' AND 'AS AVAILABLE' BASIS. STEWART SERVICES, INC. AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS AND LICENSORS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
NEITHER THE COMPANY NOR ANY OF ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS AND LICENSORS MAKE ANY WARRANTY THAT:
- THE WEB SITE OR ANY SITE SERVICES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS;
- THE WEB SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR-FREE;
- THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF THE WEB SITE WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE;
- THE QUALITY OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, INFORMATION OR OTHER MATERIAL PURCHASED OR OBTAINED BY YOU THROUGH THE SITE WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS;
- YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA MAY NOT BE SUBJECT TO THEFT OR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS, ALTERATION OR USE; AND
- ANY ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE WILL BE CORRECTED. ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE WEB SITE IS ACCESSED AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK, AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL.
YOU MUST PROVIDE AND ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE THAT ARE NECESSARY TO ACCESS THE WEB SITE. YOU ASSUME THE ENTIRE COST OF AND RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE TO, AND ALL NECESSARY MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR OF THAT HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE.
NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM THE COMPANY OR THROUGH OR FROM THE WEB SITE SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THE TOU.
A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF USERS MAY EXPERIENCE EPILEPTIC SEIZURES WHEN EXPOSED TO CERTAIN LIGHT PATTERNS OR BACKGROUNDS ON A COMPUTER SCREEN OR WHILE USING THE WEB SITE. CERTAIN CONDITIONS MAY INDUCE PREVIOUSLY UNDETECTED EPILEPTIC SYMPTOMS EVEN IN USERS WHO HAVE NO HISTORY OF PRIOR SEIZURES OR EPILEPSY. IF YOU, OR ANYONE IN YOUR FAMILY, HAVE AN EPILEPTIC CONDITION, CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN PRIOR TO USING THE WEB SITE. IMMEDIATELY DISCONTINUE USE OF THE WEB SITE AND CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING SYMPTOMS WHILE USING THE WEB SITE: DIZZINESS, ALTERED VISION, EYE OR MUSCLE TWITCHES, LOSS OF AWARENESS, DISORIENTATION, ANY INVOLUNTARY MOVEMENT, OR CONVULSIONS.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT STEWART SERVICES, INC. AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS AND LICENSORS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE, DATA OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES (EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES), RESULTING FROM:
- THE USE OR THE INABILITY TO USE THE WEB SITE;
- THE COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS AND SERVICES RESULTING FROM ANY GOODS, DATA, INFORMATION OR SERVICES PURCHASED OR OBTAINED OR MESSAGES RECEIVED OR TRANSACTIONS ENTERED INTO THROUGH OR FROM THE WEB SITE;
- AUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA;
- STATEMENTS OR CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY ON THE WEB SITE; OR
- ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE WEB SITE.
EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES OR THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. ACCORDINGLY, SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
We may provide you with notices, including those regarding changes to the TOU, by email, regular mail or postings on the Web site.
Please report any violations of the TOU, including objectionable User Content or behavior, to email@example.com. Please state the reasons for your concern and provide a link to the User Content or, if appropriate, the behavior in question. Upon receiving such a report of a possible violation, we in our sole discretion may investigate the matter and take such action as we determine to be appropriate.
TOU updated March 1, 2012.